Friday, March 14, 2008

I Shoulda Been A Cowboy... (Part 1)

I am well aware that Jon's blog keeps getting cooler and I have no chance of catching up to his coolness and excitment, but at least this is better than pictures of my cats :)

Yesterday Matt and I went to the Houston Livestock and Rodeo at Reliant Stadium. This is the dome where the Houston Texans play, along with 3 other very large buildings (making up what they call Reliant Park). We had no idea what to expect, so we parked where our pass told us too and followed the crowd until we got handed a program at the entrance gate. There we discovered this was a HUGE event and we would be getting our walking exercise in for the day.


The first event Matt read off to me was Pig Race at 4:30 so I got very excited remembering my Flemington Fair days so we hurried off to the kids section to watch the Pig races. (Matt had never seen one, I was appalled, but then I talked to Jessica on the phone and she was just as ignorant). They had 3 sets of pigs race, the last they named the 4 pigs after politicans (Hilary RodHAM, Barka-ribs, I forget who the third one was and then John McCain (i guess he didn't want to make fun of that name)). Anyway, Barack and Hilary didn't leave the gate when they opened it, to which the announcer said "I guess it looks like Barack and Hilary have no idea what they are doing". I laughed, Matt glared, Jessica (on the phone) suddenly didn't think Pig races were so dumb anymore.


They also had Swifty the swimming pig - he was tiny! They basically put him on the block and yelled at him until he jumped. They are going to S. Dakota next to meet up with the World Records people to test his swimming time. It was cute though.

As with a fair there was FOOD. And where there is food stands of everything imaginable, there is also a portable McDonalds! We didn't eat there, but you can bet I got a funnel cake!

Matt wanted Fried Alligator for dinner, so we stopped at the sign and he got some Fried Alligator. I got a corn dog and corn on the cob. Good greasy, overpriced food :)


Totally out of order, but we also paid the price to buy Carnival tickets and rode the Ferris Wheel. It is something like the biggest one in the country, or in half the country, or the biggest traveling one, or something. Anyway, it was tall and creepy at the top!

View of the fair from the top.
Self taken picture at the top.


Then we headed into Reliant Stadium to go to the Toby Keith concert...part 2....

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I wonder if that was the same Swifty I saw at the Maryland State Fair last summer. She was also a small pig.

If so, I'm glad to hear she wasn't permanently injured (our Swifty got a little confused and instead of leaping into the pool she leapt off the platform onto the concrete four feet below).

Sounds like a fun trip.