Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Matt and I (well more I) decided to stay here for Thanksgiving this year, and after taking careful notes on how to cook a meal, I woke up, took the turkey out of the fridge, put it on the counter, and called Mom. I didn't even know where to start, and Matt was "wishing he was playing football with his high school friends". To top it off Peanut was doing her best to convince me that she could eat the turkey raw. But, after a slow start, Matt and I got the turkey freed of the icky insides and stuffed with the deliciousness. Here is proof that in fact it was raw to begin with!



We had veggies and guac for lunch, while watching the Lions "play" football. It was bad news when they fumbled on the second play, but at least we scored more than the Seahawks!
Just as the Lions game was over, we took the turkey out of the oven!


Along with turkey and stuffing, we had mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green beans, 24 hour salad, rolls, and gravy. I was a little nervous about the gravy, was not sure at all how to make it, both Matt and I kept trying to pawn it off on each other. But, as we both ignored it on the stove it started to thicken! So it actually turned out really well. I am also super impressed with my/our cooking skills because we can never get the timing right on a normal dinner, but everything was done at the same time!!!



We had apple pie later, which was good, and we managed to waddle around the complex, although at a slower pace than normal. I am very proud of not burning down the apartment, or the turkey, and having it all taste really good to top it off! However, since after Matt and I stuffed ourselves, it doesn't look like we made a dent in the food, we might be eating this until we leave for Christmas.

Thanks to Mom who answered the phone... a lot... and for Kroger for the free turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

PS, having the oven on in the apartment for 4+ hours, and it being high 70s outside, it was HOT in here. It really messed with my brain sitting in shorts and sweating. I guess I am not quite adjusted to not having snow during winter yet...

2 comments:

Mark said...

Mom says way to go! Next year you can come here and cook for us.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! That looks great!

You can come to Baltimore next year.